Davyhulme Primary School is an attractive school in a leafy suburb, south west of Manchester. The Junior school was built in 1939-40 (opening on 1st May 1940 ) and was later bordered by gardens, fruit trees and a spacious field. Its’ official title was Davyhulme County Primary Junior and Infant School which then reverted to Davyhulme Junior School when the Infant school was built and opened in 1951. Both schools came together as one once again on 1st September 2008.
Mr Edgar Shaw was the first Head. Past pupils and others will no doubt remember ‘The Nursery’, ‘The Woodwork Room’, green PE tunics, school blazers and hats, ‘Pop Shaw’ and his flower gardens with the most beautiful dahlias, that were sold to raise funds. The orchard still bears fruit but Mr Shaw’s flower garden went many years ago! There were pantomimes too – and yes, we still have some of those costumes!
Mr Shaw retired to the Lake District in the 1960s and Mr Duncan Nickson took over the headship. He was a superb mathematician, artist and woodcarver but sadly died in 1981, whilst he was still Head. You may remember trips to Paris, Chester Zoo, Chatsworth House and the Blue John Mines, together with sponsored canal walks and the huge summer fair.
Miss Hazel Dodgson was appointed in 1982 and remained the head until she retired in 1995. A smart school uniform was introduced and perhaps pupils of that era will remember sewing and weaving lessons, charity events – particularly for Save the Children, and of course the start of the Y6 Shows and Summer Fairs. Inter-house and individual tournaments were introduced, some children met the Queen and the school celebrated its 50th Anniversary. After thirteen years as Head, Miss Dodgson retired in 1995.
Mrs Liz Hankinson was Head for a brief time from 1995 until 1998. The school logo became two owls and the uniform became navy blue. She led the school through its first successful Ofsted in 1996 and in 1998 was seconded as a Trafford adviser, leaving the deputy, Mr Paul Jones, as acting head – in charge of yet another Ofsted and the re-roofing programme! He saw the school through another successful Ofsted and a most ‘interesting’ period of building, floods and portacabins!
Mr Mr McDowell was appointed headteacher of the junior school and took up his post 1st May 2000. He has led the school through many changes , including a number of staff appointments , retirements and the transition from ‘old school to new school’ in all its’ conotations. Following another successful Ofsted inspection for the junior school ( ‘Good with many outstanding aspects’ , Nov 2005 ) Mr McDowell was asked to become Executive Head of the Infant school in April 2007. In September 2008 both schools became one and in May 2010 Ofsted inspected and judged Davyhulme Primary School to be “Outstanding”. 1st May 2010 marked Mr McDowell’s first ten years as headteacher and was 70 years exactly to the day the school first opened amid the dark clouds of the Battle of Britain and World War Two.
Updated by Mr P McDowell